Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Don't you hate it when

Ok so this is going to sound like I am whining I am sure, I think a cooler name for that may be ranting but thats beside the point. So I hadn't really been up to taking the 69 xlch on a ride further from home down to Richmond or Suffolk due to all types of things but mostly small issues like a half working tail light, diminishing teeth on the kicker, and bit of an untrue front wheel to list a few.

Recently things have kind of been a bit hectic and not too cool so I thought I could make the best of a less than perfect situation by finally getting my bike straightened out for the ride to Suffolk, if I got through Richmond. Decided to work out every issue I knew of topping off the oil after replacing tearing oil lines, chain needing to be replaced, fuel lines replaced, new tail light switch relocated, tail light fixed with some wiring changes, front wheel trued, air cleaner cover added and carb tuned a little, and wiring taped and zip tied where needed.

Took a while too long to make that decision as my kicker gear has been dwindling away at this point and honestly I have been putting off fixing it way too long (as seen in a video I will post). I have been riding the bike getting it kicked over off of the last 1/4 of catching gears for the most part(and you better know whats up or you will get hurt even trying cause they barley catch and do about one out of 3 times).

Well I figured it was starting ok for me yesterday and I did all that work I thought it may feel like going for a ride... Wrong. I had planned what to take, packed all my tools, extra headlight, oil, stuff I was going to work on while in Suffolk and loaded up the bike with a bit of extra gas, bungeed and tied the tool bag on, ate, got gear ready, went out started the ritual and and hour and a half later here I sit.

After kicking checking re checking adjusting tappets and while knowing the kicker gears weren't going to do shit catching a few teeth at this point I have decided to tear into it and fix the problem. Which I should have done at first sight of the problem.

I wish I was on the road right now getting away from some of this. I guess you can't run from your problems forever because they will just catch up to you sooner or later. Usually it happens at the most inconvenient time.

Side note: Dan thanks for saying the weather wasn't that great when I texted you...thats what friends are for.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer man, but really if you are not nick locco, you are not unique with the problems, everyone else but that guy has had problems on the road or just getting going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it wasn't the best idea with the kicker the way it was, better stuck here than paying to get back thats for sure. Nick the master bike whisperer, I gotta get a bike with a battery for these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit, I broke down and stranded headed to kitty hawk 2 weekends ago because of a damn battery

    ReplyDelete